PCA to host free caregiver workshop on Nov. 13
In honor of National Family Caregivers Month, Philadelphia Corporation for Aging (PCA) and Lutheran Settlement House will present a free caregiver workshop, “Caregiving Counts: How to Maximize Your Time Around the Clock,” on Monday, Nov. 13. The workshop will take place from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at PCA, 642 N. Broad St. Expert speakers will make presentations on finding your organizational style, easy meal preparation, medication management, care coordination, caregiving skill-building and self-care. Lunch is included. For more information or to register, call 215-765-9000, ext. 4391 or email Cheryl.Clark@pcaCares.org.
According to the Caregiver Action Network, the theme of the 2017 National Family Caregiver’s Month, “Caregiving Around the Clock,” reflects that caregiving can be a 24/7 job. The network offers these 10 tips for family caregivers on its website:
- Get support from other caregivers. You are not alone.
- Take care of your own health so you can be strong enough to take care of your loved one.
- Accept offers of help and suggest specific things people can do to help you.
- Learn how to communicate effectively with doctors.
- Take respite breaks often.
- Watch out for signs of depression and don’t delay getting professional help when you need it.
- Be open to new technologies that can help you care for your loved one.
- Organize medical information so it’s up to date and easy to find.
- Make sure legal documents are in order.
- Give yourself credit for doing the best you can in one of the toughest jobs there is.
For information on caregiver resources and support, including PCA’s Caregiver Support Program, call the PCA Helpline at 215-765-9040 or visit pcaCares.org. Click on “Services for Seniors” and then “Caregiver Support.”
CAPTION: Caregiving can be a 24/7 job. (iStock)
- Elder Abuse
- Elder Care
- Headlines on Aging
- Legal Matters
- Mental health
- Milestones eNews
- News about PCA
- PCA News Bulletin